Search Committee Training and Resources
“Search committees shape the faculty—and therefore the university—for years to come” (Fraser & Hunt, 2011, p. 189). For this reason and consistent with Iowa State University’s institutional commitments, search committee training is required for all members before persons can be granted access to search materials and applicant files from University Human Resources. For additional information about Faculty Search Committee training requirements and expectations, review the training resource document. Equity Advisors or University Human Resource personnel can add search committee members to the Search Committee Training Canvas course.
Within the training course, search committees are guided to the following resources:
- Resources and Best Practices for Faculty Searches, which provide step-by-step guidelines and suggestions to promote best practices in the search process.
- Resource Guide for Recruiting Excellent and Diverse Faculty
- Best Practices in Addressing the Impact of COVID-19 During the Hiring Process (PDF, 44KB)
- Survey of Earned Doctorates (NORC, University of Chicago)
- University Human Resources
Search committee members are encouraged to share the Build Your Career at ISU (PDF, 230KG) document with all candidates. Additional information is described on the Community Resources webpage.